Western Juniper Industry Grants
Western Juniper is a native tree known for its durability, is impervious to rot and disease, and is a great alternative to cedar and redwood use in buildings. More than 100 years of fire suppression and past rangeland activity has allowed the Juniper to overtake upwards of 9 million acres of rangelands, using up water and destroying habitat for wildlife.
In 2013, the Western Juniper Alliance (WJA) began implementation of an initiative working toward a sustainable way to manage the spread of invasive Western Juniper and grow the market as a way to support and create new business opportunities. Removing the invasive juniper improves the ecosystem and creates much-needed jobs in rural communities.
In the 2015 Legislative Session, the Oregon Legislature approved $200,000 to provide technical assistance to Oregon businesses currently or proposing to be engaged in harvesting or manufacturing products from Western Juniper.
Grants for Business Management, Marketing and Communications, Production Process, and Other Assistance are available to Oregon businesses currently or proposing to be engaged in harvesting or manufacturing products from Western Juniper.
- Business plan development
- Internal operationsmanagement structure, cash flow, etc
- Financial planning and capital access, including loan packaging
- Start-up assistancelegal, accounting, employer-related requirements
Marketing and Communications
- Market analysis and plan development, including feasibility studies
- Logo and marketing collateral development
- Web site development
- Product research and development
- Standards certification
- Production efficiencies—operational improvements to reduce cost or production time and/or increase quality
- Other studies, analysis, planning, or technical assistance that improve business efficiency, stability, profitability, and implementation of good business practices
The maximum grant amount available under each category is $30,000. The business must provide a minimum of 10% of the total cost of the technical assistance service in cash.
A complete list of requirements is included in the Program Guidelines.
How and When to Apply
Applications will be accepted on an ongoing basis, as long as funding remains available. Download the application for Existing Manufacturers or for businesses wanting to Start manufacturing or harvest/mill Western Juniper and Program Guidelines; complete the application and submit it to Business Oregon according to the steps and instructions outlined in the Program Guidelines.