Federal Disadvantaged Business Enterprise Certification

Disadvantaged Business Enterprise (DBE) certification is for firms seeking contracting opportunities with recipients of federal transportation-related projects. Some of the recipients in this category include the Oregon Department of Transportation (ODOT), Tri-Met and the Port of Portland. The eligibility criteria is based on US DOT regulations, 49 CFR 26.

Ownership and Control

  • A minority or woman must own at least 51% of the business. Recognized minority groups for certification include: Black American, Hispanic American, Native American, Asian Pacific American, Subcontinent Asian American and others as defined by U.S. Small Business Administration
  • The minority or woman owner must have managerial and operational control over all aspects of the business.

Contribution of Capital by Owners

The source of the capital contribution must come from independently owned holdings without the benefit of a transfer of assets or gifts from non-disadvantaged persons and must be proportionate to the woman/minority's ownership interest.

Independence and Size

The minority- or woman-owned business must not be associated or dependent upon a non-disadvantaged firm(s) or individual(s).

Firms must not exceed the following size standards:

General construction contractor $22,410,000 (DBE)
$33,500,000 (MWBE)
Specialty construction contractor $14,000,000
Engineering/Architecture/Surveying $14,000,000
Non-construction firms Refer to Small Business Administration, North American Industry Classification System Codes (NAICS) size standards


Apply using our e-Application system. This is the preferred application method as it helps ensure that your application is submitted in a complete packet, reducing processing time.

If you do not have the ability access the e-application process, you may file using a Word document. Mail the original application and required documentation to Business Oregon, OMWESB, 775 Summer St NE, Suite 200, Salem, OR 97301-1280.

Out-of-State Applications

Out-of-state firms, please use our e-Application system. If you do not have the ability access the e-application process, please contact our office.

Top of page